That's what me and my girls were trying to be this AM. I woke up and went downstairs. When I got to the bottom of the stairs, I saw a little baby snake out on the front porch.
Aw, how cute. It's a baby bull snake. Let's pick it up!
I called Millie, my resident snake catcher and the other girls came as well. First, I reached down and petted it's back. It was really small and moving quite slowly (due to the cold) Millie reached down, touching it at the middle of it's body.
Mr. Snake didn't care much for that. He immediately began to coil up and started STRIKING!!! Yikes!? We took a second look, wondering if he really was a bullsnake.
After looking closely at his markings and comparing it to the field guide, we determined that in fact, it was a baby Western Diamondback Rattlesnake.
I am sooooo thanking God that Millie nor I were bit. We were really blessed as we should have been bit and would have been poisoned quite badly as baby rattlers are known to be the most dangerous of all since they can't regulate the amount of venom that they realease.