6.29.2016

THM Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Hello again from 'where have you been land'!  I've been doing stuff man.  I can barely keep up with me.

Anyway, today, I wanted to share a little tweak I did to a recipe that you can find in the Trim Healthy Mama cookbook, pg 290.

I don't believe it would be ok for me to include the whole recipe, but I am going to tell you what I added so that if you have that recipe, you can free to try my tweaks/additions and see if you like them.



As I was working, I wanted to keep the cake in the E setting.  As it stands in the book, it has zero fat added to it.  I admit that I only tried it once and that was the microwave version. I don't want to complain, but to me, it tasted like pineapple flavored cardboard.  No offense sister, but my taste buds haven't quite arrived to finding that result satisfying.  But I was determined to figure out how to make it yummy as I LOVE a good pineapple upside down cake!

To my taste, the single biggest missing ingredient was butter.  1 tsp of butter has 4 gms of fat, so that seemed a safe addition.  Here's what else I did.

Begin by heating the pineapple, 2 tsp Gentle Sweet (or your favorite non-sugar sweetener), 1/2 tsp butter and 1 tbsp shredded, unsweetened coconut in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Let that simmer a bit, you're looking for a slightly carmelized final result.  To that, add a few dashes of carmel extract and a few dashes of coconut extract. (no, I didn't measure!!)

In the other bowl, mix the butter but add an additional 1/2 TBSP almond milk, 1 TBSP Coconut, a few dashes of Coconut extract, 1/2 tsp extra sweetener, 1 tsp Just Gelatin, 1/2 tsp Baking powder.

Grease your ramekin with the remaining 1/2 tsp butter.  Bake as directed.

So what did I add:

2 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 TBSP almond milk
Several dashes of both Caramel and Coconut extract
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Gelatin

These additions vastly improved the taste, texture and enjoyment for me.  And by the way, this is a huge portion.  I couldn't even eat all of it.  I usually only have 1/3 cups oats so perhaps that is the difference?  Anyway, let me know what you think if you try it!  I think next time, I might do something with a cherry or two, but I haven't thought that through yet.




4 comments:

  1. Your blog was so nice and very attractive to see. Thank you so much for sharing these nice articles online shopping

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an interesting and delicious twist on the original recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy your feedback, so thanks a bundle for taking the time to leave it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...