6.29.2016

THM Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Hello again from 'where have you been land'!  I've been doing stuff man.  I can barely keep up with me.

Anyway, today, I wanted to share a little tweak I did to a recipe that you can find in the Trim Healthy Mama cookbook, pg 290.

I don't believe it would be ok for me to include the whole recipe, but I am going to tell you what I added so that if you have that recipe, you can free to try my tweaks/additions and see if you like them.



As I was working, I wanted to keep the cake in the E setting.  As it stands in the book, it has zero fat added to it.  I admit that I only tried it once and that was the microwave version. I don't want to complain, but to me, it tasted like pineapple flavored cardboard.  No offense sister, but my taste buds haven't quite arrived to finding that result satisfying.  But I was determined to figure out how to make it yummy as I LOVE a good pineapple upside down cake!

To my taste, the single biggest missing ingredient was butter.  1 tsp of butter has 4 gms of fat, so that seemed a safe addition.  Here's what else I did.

Begin by heating the pineapple, 2 tsp Gentle Sweet (or your favorite non-sugar sweetener), 1/2 tsp butter and 1 tbsp shredded, unsweetened coconut in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Let that simmer a bit, you're looking for a slightly carmelized final result.  To that, add a few dashes of carmel extract and a few dashes of coconut extract. (no, I didn't measure!!)

In the other bowl, mix the butter but add an additional 1/2 TBSP almond milk, 1 TBSP Coconut, a few dashes of Coconut extract, 1/2 tsp extra sweetener, 1 tsp Just Gelatin, 1/2 tsp Baking powder.

Grease your ramekin with the remaining 1/2 tsp butter.  Bake as directed.

So what did I add:

2 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 TBSP almond milk
Several dashes of both Caramel and Coconut extract
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Gelatin

These additions vastly improved the taste, texture and enjoyment for me.  And by the way, this is a huge portion.  I couldn't even eat all of it.  I usually only have 1/3 cups oats so perhaps that is the difference?  Anyway, let me know what you think if you try it!  I think next time, I might do something with a cherry or two, but I haven't thought that through yet.




3 comments:

I really enjoy your feedback, so thanks a bundle for taking the time to leave it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...