2.18.2016

Full

What does it mean to be full?

Is it having a lot on your schedule?  Is it when you've eaten a lot of food and your pants are stretching across your waist?   Is it when you have all the earthly goods you think you could want?  Is it feeling satisfied?

Today was a full day. What I mean is that all the hours and then some were scheduled with things that seemed important. (for many of us, that is every single day) Because of that particular brand of fullness today, I didn't end up with much in the way of a quiet time with the Lord. I have friends for whom that poses no problem and other friends for whom that poses a huge problem.  Sometimes, when I see such a wide spectrum, I am left wondering if one or the other is more 'correct'.

In the end, I'm not sure that either end of the spectrum is better.  The point of fullness is that it is found in Christ alone.  The method by which that happens isn't all that important to Jesus.  Jesus, when he was talking about the way the Pharisees tried to usurp God's place, said "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10.  I believe his point in that teaching moment was that our 'full' life will come when we are in relationship with Him.


When he says 'my sheep know my voice' He is referring to the idea of Relationship.  Recognition.  It's not just that they are able to read the Word of God and believe it, it's that they hear His voice and understand His Words to them personally.  The end result is being FULL.  And what are His sheep full of?

Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy your feedback, so thanks a bundle for taking the time to leave it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...