1.02.2012

Paper Bag Album Tutorial

Hello friends!  Hope you're having a wonderful day as you get into the swing of this new year.

I've gotten a few requests for a paper bag album tutorial so that is the focus of today's post.  I want you to know that I always read every single comment and take note of the requests.  I try to respond to what you're asking for, it just may take me a bit, but I'll always try to share what you're looking for!  So keep those requests coming.

Now, for the tutorial:

I started with some simple flat style paper bags.  I requested them from a retailer I frequent and recommend you might try the same.  Always offer to pay for them as they cost the retailer.  In my case, I was blessed and they were 'donated' to my cause, but it wasn't what I was expecting.

The bags I chose were 8.25 inches by 5 inches and had the serrated edges on them.  I wanted to retain that look, so rather than cut the serrated edge, I cut the closed edge to aquire the size I wanted.  Just cut off how ever much you want to get the size you need.  In my case, I cut it down to 6.25 inches.

That leaves me with an open ended bag on both ends which is fine if you are just using it to be a page.  However, if you want to be able to create a pocket, then you need to close that end off.

I chose to cut a bit of patterned paper to help me accomplish this purpose.  Cut a strip 3 inches by 5 inches. Score it down the middle.  Add adhesive to each side.  Adhere to to the end of the bag with the cut, folding over and adhering to the other side as well.  Use a bone folder to get a sharp crease.

Next, I cut strips of pattern paper 12 x 5, scored down the middle and folded them over for the remaining pages.  I cut the holes in the edge after it was folded over and simply stacked the pages and inserted binder rings.








Next, I used my 7 Gypsies Binderie to make holds for binding rings.  I centered the page on the Binderie and simple punched the two holds.  Limiting the number of holes eliminates there being a lot of issue with avoiding the punched holes in the rest of the design process.




After I did that it looked like this.





Then you just need to decorate to your hearts content!  If you make one, please share a link with me so I can check it out!

37 comments:

  1. It looks great and thank you for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I used to make these w/ paper lunch bags. I like how you got the bags with the uneven tops. The extra "fraying" gives it character. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made one, but I'd like to. Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, you know I have heard of the paper bag albums, but never really looked at one. I really like how you made yours, and I think it is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for an album. You take wonderful photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanna make one! I need a hole puncher...I shall have to take advantage of when I am home to use your stuff. muaha! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you add the paper to the edges! That looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is always so interesting to see how different people do these various projects. I like your way, and know several others as well. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'll give this a shot. It's much better than the original paper bag books we made 10 years ago. Great job on the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of adding the paper on the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks so easy.. thks for sharing.. u are such a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic project! Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was wondering how that 7Gypsies binderie worked...it's just the two holes?...that is really nice and it looks small. Ursula...love this idea and love how you covered and gave the bags an edge or a cover.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tutorial! I really like your idea of reinforcing the bag edges with paper. And I've had that binderie punch on my radar. ;-) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is super cool! I might have to make one of these this week and use it for my journal for the year and the bags are a perfect place to put my lil tid bits from school etc!! LOVE it!
    And I might have to work on my own tutorial; thanks for the comment on my blog and thanks for inspring me :)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love the direction , different from what im used to but i'm so addicted to mini album i'm going to try this right now thanks....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice! That Binderie tool looks like a must have. Thanks ever so much for sharing your technique!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tutorial! Love your choice of paper. Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice tutorial - and it looks like a sturdy album. The old fashioned ones I have tried have never looked as great as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great idea for an album! Love the binding papers you used!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the tutorial! I so need to try and make one of these!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. love this !
    Karen (kphike)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't "Thank You" enough for making such a great "step by step" tutorial! I have never made a paper bag album just because I wasn't sure how to put it together. Thanks to you, now I know! Great tutorial, great photo's, great book! Love Penny

    ReplyDelete
  24. This technique is easier as compared to others, love!

    ReplyDelete
  25. really fun album, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love paperbag albums. So much goodness can be stuffed in those little pockets. Wonderful tutorial.

    Hope you had a wonderful vacation. Glad you're back blogging again:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your take on the paper bag album. I may have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  28. fabulous tutorial! Love your album! I've made one using longer lunch bags and folded them in half. I have a bind it all now so might have to try this style :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like how you bind your albums together. I enjoy making paper bag albums as well. Thanks for sharing! www.tinytreasuresbyt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy your feedback, so thanks a bundle for taking the time to leave it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...