Good morning friends. Today, I want to share another layout process with you. This one was in response to a challenge over on Studio Calico by KathyB. Kathy suggested that we feature Washi tape as the main ingredient on a project.
Well of course, I HAD to play along. Really, I had no choice in the matter at all. It was only a matter of time!
I recently snapped some photos of my son dinkin' around on the keyboard so I chose to use them. A bit of editing and I got them looking like I wanted them.
I had a basic idea for this layout. I knew that I wanted to create a window in a piece of card-stock and cover the rest of the paper in washi tape. So I got started with that. I applied the tape in no particular order. If I did it again, I'd apply it to the top most and bottom most edges of the window first, wrap is around the edge and then continue layering the rest. I made it work but that would be the easiest way.
I recommend working on a non-stick surface as peeling it off my cutting mat did prove to be a bit challenging.
I had to choose some type of background so I used this paper from Hambly. However, it is a very thin paper and needed some card-stock to make it strong enough to hold up. I chose a bright orange piece of card-stock, leaving a thin margin on one side and trimming the Hambly so it would all be 12x12. I then added a little more Washi over the orange to tone it down a bit.
Next, I created the journaling using my typewriter and a piece of backing from a Studio Calico stamp set. I love how the ends and beginnings are all uneven. I snipped the edges with my Pinking Sheers for a bit of texture.
What happened next was a happy accident. I happened to turn the frame over and discovered that I preferred the back to the front so I went with that. I also added some droplets of Spray mist to the cardstock. This particular spray mist was October Afternoon Sprinklers which has a different texture. It's more like paint and takes a little longer to dry so be aware of that.
Next I messed around with the placement for where I'd have this giant piece along with a few beginning accents.
Add some mist to the journaling (wipe it away because it's actually opaque, oops. Decide I like that look and go with it.) Place a few more odds and ends such as Elle's studio label, hand cute pennant from SC stamp backing, Basic Grey Basic label sticker, KaiserKraft report card, Amy Tangerine Sticker.
Realize that hands are full of paint/mist! Like that too, take their portrait. :)
Then I had to think about the title. Up to that point I'd made no plan or given thought to my title. I decided I'd like to use the words 'Musically Inclined'. Musically in larger letters would have been a lot of letters and space so I decided to utilize the Basic Grey label sticker as the foundation for that word.
I wanted to hand color those letters and chose my Basic Grey Micro Mono stickers in white which I then inked with JBS Speckled Egg stamping ink.
I then overstamped that in JBS Weathervane with a music patterned stamp to coordinate with my theme.
It worked. Finally, add inked wood letters from Pink Paislee with JBS Lemon Drop and adhere to LO using KI Gloo and include a few brads for dimenion. And here is the final product.
I'd love to count you as a follower. Feel free to click the follow button in the right margin.