9.23.2010

Life by the Spirit

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.  Galatians 5:22-23

I have to preface this by saying that I have not got any kind of corner on the market of how to actually live this way.  That said, I know that because God's Word says to do it, it is possible.  However, it's not possible except by the power of the Spirit working in and through me. 

Has anyone else heard that Michael W. Smith song from a few years back called 'Never Been Unloved'?  The lyrics go like this:

I have been unfaithful


I have been unworthy

I have been unrighteous

And I have been unmerciful

I have been unreachable

I have been unteachable

I have been unwilling

And I have been undesirable

And sometimes I have unwise

I've been undone by what I'm unsure of

But because of You

And all that You went through

I know that I have never been unloved

I have been unbroken

I have been unmended

I have been uneasy

And I've been unapproachable

I've been unemotional

I've been unexceptional

I've been undecided

And I have been unqualified

Unaware

I have been unfair

I've been unfit for blessings from above

But even I can see

The sacrifice You made for me

To show that I have never been unloved

It's because of You

And all that You went through

I know that I have never been unloved
 
These lyrics have always spoken to me.  Of course from the perspective of having always been loved, but even more from the place of realizing how often I miss the mark. Not because I feel condemned but because God needs me to recognize my sin or else I will not seek His healing and help for it. 
 
As I look at the passage on the fruit of the Spirit in Galatians, I realize how far I have to go.  I find that I don't have much trouble demonstrating those qualities toward most people, but there are some in my life to whom I scarcely demonstrate any of them.  God forgive me for such hideous sin.  Father, fill me so much with your Spirit so that I may pour out Your love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control toward those that I generally struggle to care for.  I don't know how to do it myself.  I can only do it through You're intervention.  Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy your feedback, so thanks a bundle for taking the time to leave it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...